Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Vampire Weekend

Yes I know that they are media darlings at the moment but dammit, some bands deserve all the hype and I truely believe that this little band from Brooklyn deserve it.

It's funny how certain past albums become in vogue, two years ago it was Gang of Four's Entertainment, now I'm sure that Paul Simon's Graceland and Talking Heads 'Naked' (Dare I mention Bhundu Boys as well???)are going to be the most talked about albums for the next few years. If you don't believe me look at all the up and coming New Yorcian bands that are cropping up. Yeasayer, MGMT and spearheading this sort of movement T.V. on the Radio. All are using polyrhythms and merging them with a western guitar pop (and in some cases prog) type of sound.

However I firmly say that Vampire Weekend are the best of the batch so far. Not only do their songs slam your eardrums from the first second the tune comes out but they attack their music with a certain energy that makes their self titled debut album very fresh sounding. At the moment I'm reading about people comparing them to the Strokes and I can see why. In essence Vampire Weekend take a genre which isn't in vogue and give it a youthful makeover. I mean song like Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa could have easily been tacked on as a last track on Naked but in the context of an album you feel a certain vigour that hasn't been present for a while.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJiggb8Jx44

No comments: